Friday 7 February 2014

Of Seven Blessings

Good evening, everyone! Here are some points that blessed me during the past few weeks .

Accountability: Driving this winter made me notice how rough the roads are, even after a thaw. You're driving through life, and whoosh! All of a sudden, there's a winter freeze, the road stiffens like slap-bracelet, and when you think everything is warmed up and the ride will be smooth, you hit a bit of a, well, hole. I can't write flowery language about holes though; this one I'll dub the lazy hole, and I fell away from feeding my soul. What surprised me is how starved I became. Spiritually hungry, I ignored the pangs until numbness set in and I grew tired and lethargic instead. When I recognized the ugly head of apathetic lethargy, I understood I wasn't actively fighting.
When a realization is made, one either ignores the said realization and sits in despondency, or he or she exerts the effort to change. Which is my attempt at present: A friend and I keep one another accountable. What fed you today?

Ice Skating – Lately, Minnesota has experienced the brunt of “frigid” 30-40 below temperatures. A few weeks ago, it was -8, and warm. Thus, we skated on the pristine ice of Centennial Lakes. The two of us; practicing, spinning, remembering.

Provision: Hours – I though I was going to have all of last week (Friday) off work. At first I was bummed, my mentality tuned to saving for school, but I soon became excited at the thought of an entire free day. Until...I was asked to pick up for a cook at different building. Yeah, it's a little daunting, but what's the blessing is that I'm earning money I wouldn't have otherwise earned.

Tumbler – When the temperatures were hideous last week, I forgot my water tumbler in the car and it froze and broke. There's nothing like it to keep me hydrated at work when I'm running around crazy; I've missed it at work and have been trying to purchase another. Thursday night, I put belongings away in my room and turned around to see an abstract, marble-like water tumbler on the sewing machine. Wacky and just for me. Thanks Mom.

Focus: School was miserable last semester. I didn't understand my sciences, and the only thing that made too much sense was the nutrition which was all too easy. Because of that, I had a greater tendency to not focus. This week, God's blessed me with the study mentality; the one that says “Oh, wait, did you just say you didn't understand that? Go back. Now. Read it and do every practice problem until you know why it works that way.”

Warmth – Thursday was NOT warm. At all. I got off work early afternoon and planned to walk to the college to study before my evening class. Well. I excitedly walked out and made my way to the street, the corner, and splash! There went my right foot into the icy-cold wet, and for the next ½ mile, I walked with a soggy appendage. This is a blessing. Normally, I would be upset. Ridiculous, right? But in so many of these cases, I go without something and realize how good it is and how thankful I should be.

Unity – At work. Yes, we all have our jobs and “things” we need to get done, so I let go; let God direct steps. Conduct. Be the conduit. Lately, I have noticed how growing closer to people at work, while a delicate subject, can be beneficial on both sides. The little acts of kindness that are natural to me because of Christ's mercy and grace do have an impact; and be it ever so small, it still may be a seed.

Any fun weekend plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment