Tuesday 1 January 2013

cogitens pro novus annus: Thoughts for The New Year

This is for the New Year, 
The Old has come and gone.
The large, old clock I do hear, 
But no more do I frown.

Wanting to post on the first day of the year, I do. I have nothing profound to write, but I've done this before (when the date was 08/08/08 or 12/12/12), and now that it's 1/1/13, I do it again.

Thinking of poems for New Years, everything was themed with how shocking it is that time passes so quickly. "Fast happy days" and those "swift in flight" do not hold their own, as the importance of these small hours. (Which is one reason I did not pen a New Year's poem.)

Previously, when a New Year came, I looked on it as something taking me farther and farther away from little things I grew up with; those familiar, as well as those I had to work very hard for. As the days passed, I grew upset; I could not stop time, and it was taking me farther and farther away from something I knew so well.

But God has changed all that: I am no longer afraid with a sinking feeling when the clock sounds its chimes.  He knows the plans he has for me, and even though we do not know all that is ahead of us, we should not look upon time as one of the many forces (as Thomas Hardy's “Immanent Will”) that cannot be stopped. We are not given experiences and gifts only for time to take us away from them; no, we are given gifts such as time. Yes, it carries us forward, but God arranged it to carry us to what he planned.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."  Jeremiah 29:11-13 

No comments:

Post a Comment